Fair isle sweaters are known for their distinctive patterns and colors, and have a rich history that dates back to the 19th century. So what’s the story of fair isle sweater, how it became popular, how you can wear it today and which factory can produce fair isle sweater?
What is a fair isle sweater?
A fair isle sweater is a type of knitwear that features multiple colors and geometric motifs, usually arranged in horizontal bands or rows. The name comes from Fair Isle, a small island in the Shetland archipelago, north of Scotland, where the technique originated. Fair Isle is one of the most remote inhabited islands in Britain, with a population of about 60 people.
The islanders have been knitting woolen garments for centuries, using local sheep wool and natural dyes. They developed a unique style of stranded knitting, which involves carrying two or more colors of yarn across the back of the work, creating floats that add warmth and texture. The patterns were inspired by the island's landscape, wildlife, folklore, and cultural influences from Scandinavia and Spain.
How did fair isle sweater become popular?
Fair isle sweater gained worldwide recognition in the 1920s, when Edward VIII, then Prince of Wales, wore a fair isle vest in public. The prince was known for his fashionable taste and influence on men's style. He admired the craftsmanship and colorfulness of fair isle knitwear, and ordered several pieces from Shetland knitters. His endorsement sparked a craze for fair isle sweaters among the upper class and celebrities.
In the 1930s, fair isle sweater became more accessible to the masses, thanks to mass production and synthetic dyes. The patterns also became more varied and complex, incorporating elements from other cultures and art movements. Fair isle sweater remained popular throughout the 20th century, especially in winter sports and outdoor activities. It also became a symbol of British heritage and tradition.
How to wear a fair isle sweater today?
Fair isle sweater is a timeless and versatile piece that can be worn in many ways. Here are some tips on how to style a fair isle sweater today:
- For a casual and cozy look, wear a fair isle pullover with jeans or corduroy pants and boots. You can layer it over a t-shirt or a shirt for extra warmth. You can also add a coat or a jacket for colder days.
- For a smart and sophisticated look, wear a fair isle vest with a shirt and tie and trousers or chinos. You can also add a blazer or a suit jacket for a more formal touch. You can choose a neutral or dark-colored vest for a subtle contrast, or a bright-colored vest for a pop of color.
- For a feminine and chic look, wear a fair isle cardigan with a dress or a skirt and blouse. You can also add tights and heels or flats for a polished finish. You can choose a fitted or oversized cardigan depending on your preference. You can also mix and match different patterns and colors for a fun and playful look.
- Choose a color scheme that suits your complexion and personality. You can go for classic neutrals like navy, gray, or cream, or opt for more vibrant hues like red, green, or yellow.
- Pair your fair isle sweater with solid-colored bottoms that complement the colors of your sweater. You can wear jeans, chinos, corduroys, or wool trousers for a casual or smart casual look.
- Layer your fair isle sweater over a shirt or under a jacket for extra warmth and interest. You can wear a plain white or blue shirt for a crisp contrast, or a plaid or striped shirt for a more playful mix. You can also wear a leather jacket, a denim jacket, or a peacoat for some edge or sophistication.
- Accessorize your fair isle sweater with simple and classic pieces that don't compete with the pattern. You can wear a watch, a belt, a scarf, or a hat for some finishing touches.
- Have fun and experiment with different combinations and occasions. You can wear a fair isle sweater for work, weekend, holiday, or travel. You can also mix and match different patterns and textures for more variety and personality.
Which factory can produce fair isle sweater for my brand?
CH Cashmere, as a knitwear factory, can produce all kinds of fair isle sweaters for your brands. You can choose different fabrics, merino wool, cashmere, cotton or other yarn as you like. And you can show me your styles and designs and choose variety colors from color card we offered. Our advance machine and skilled workers will help you knitting wonderful fair isle sweaters for you.
A fair isle sweater is more than just a cozy and stylish sweater. It's also a piece of history and culture that tells a story of an island and its people. By wearing a fair isle sweater, you are honoring their heritage and craftsmanship, as well as expressing your own taste and individuality.