Having encountered the terms “raglan sleeves” and “set-in sleeves” several times in the detailed description of knitwear products, you might wonder what’s the difference between the two and which one to choose for your next garment. In this blog post, we will explain the main features and advantages of each type of sleeves.
A set-in sleeve, or a drop sleeve, is the most common sleeve style used in knitwear, which you may refer to as a regular sleeve. Set-in sleeves are sewn into the armhole of the garment, creating a horizontal seam that runs along the top of the shoulder.
Set-in sleeves can enhance the fit and appearance of the clothing, as well as provide comfort and mobility for the wearer. They are commonly used in professional clothing, such as blouses, dresses, and shirts, to create a more comfortable and fitted look.
Some of the Benefits of Set-in Sleeves are:
- Set-in sleeves are perfect for formal occasions where a good fit and a refined appearance are required. Set-in sleeves can create a flattering silhouette, as they follow the natural curve of the shoulder and arm.
- Set-in sleeves offer more design possibilities. They are ideal for adding details like buttons and embroidery. They can also be further designed into different styles, such as cap and puff sleeves.
- Set-in sleeves can enhance the overall durability of the garment, as they are securely stitched to the armhole with multiple seams. They also provide a smooth and neat finish to the armhole, without any puckers or tucks.
Raglan sleeves are a type of sleeves that extend from the neckline to the underarm, creating a diagonal seam. They are often used for casual or sporty garments, such as sweaters, hoodies, and T-shirts. They also allow for more freedom of movement and comfort, as they do not restrict the shoulder area.
Raglan sleeves are named after Lord Raglan, a British military commander who lost his arm in the Battle of Waterloo. He had his tailor make him a coat with a sleeve that was easier to put on and take off with one arm. The style then became popular among other soldiers and civilians, and eventually spread to other countries
Some of the Benefits of Raglan Sleeves are:
- Raglan sleeves allow more freedom of movement. As raglan sleeves do not have a shoulder seam, they won’t restrict the movement of arm and shoulder. This makes them ideal for activities that require a lot of arm movement, such yoga and dancing.
- Raglan sleeves can help balance out the proportions of different body shapes. For example, if you have broad shoulders, raglan sleeves can create a more streamlined look. On the other hand, if you have narrow shoulders, raglan sleeves can add some volume to your upper body.
- Raglan sleeves can add some visual interest. For example, you can choose raglan sleeves that have a different color or pattern from the rest of the garment, which creates a fun and playful look. Raglan sleeves with some details, such as buttons, zippers, or embroidery, can also add some elegance to your outfit.
How to Contact Us
So, which type of sleeves do you prefer, set-in sleeves or raglan sleeves? It depends on your personal preference, style, and purpose. CH Cashmere, a professional manufacturer of knitwear clothing, offers you various kinds of knitwear with set-in sleeves and raglan sleeves. If you are interested in our products, you can contact CH Cashmere Factory to produce them for you.